Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Gresford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chester Road, Gresford, Denbighshire

Name: Gresford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist

Built: 1822
Rebuilt: 1879



Photography: Noel Wood (courtesy of Graham Price)
Date: 13 August 2005
Camera: Canon PowerShot A75 digital

Foundation Stone: Gresford Methodist Chapel

Note 1: Pant Methodist Chapel was built in 1822 and rebuilt in 1879 in the Gothic style with a side entry plan, local stone walls, Caernarvonshire slate roof and Minton tiled floor. [Source: Coflein Database NPRN 7619 (accessed 8 Sep 2015)]

Gresford Methodist Chapel, Gresford

Note 2: Originally known as Gresford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now simply Gresford Methodist Church. Photo taken by Noel Wood 2005. Built by my great grandfather, William Rogers of Rossett & Wrexham. [Source: Email from Graham Price, dated 8 Sep 2015]

Gresford Methodist Chapel, Gresford Gresford Methodist Chapel, Gresford

Gresford Methodist Chapel, Gresford Note 3: The village of Gresford has been in existence for over 1000 years and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Methodism was established in Wrexham around 1773. In a letter dated 17 January 1782, Wesley talks of his visit to Chester some time earlier, but it was to be another forty years before a Methodist Church was built in Gresford. Methodism was opposed in Gresford, and the parish church curate was offended by the presence of Methodists on his parish, and sent for the constable to suppress the new meeting. Although Methodist worship was stopped, it restarted and local Methodists met in a small chapel in Turnpike Lane (off Pant Lane) which was inaugurated in 1822. This original Chapel in Turnpike Lane bears a stone tablet (right), which reads: 1822 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Mine House Shall Be Called An House Of Prayer For All People - Isaiah Chapter 56, verse 7. Eventually the site of the present Church was secured, the foundation stone was laid in 1878, and the Church was opened in July 1879. There were extensions to the premises in 1931 and 1957. During its life, the Church has faithfully maintained its witness in Gresford and Marford, and today it is an important part of the local community.
[Source: 175th Anniversary booklet published by Gresford Methodist Church, 2004 (courtesy of Graham Price)]


Below: The original chapel building in Turnpike Lane. The stone tablet is set into the low boundary wall in front of the main entrance.
Gresford Methodist Chapel, Gresford
[Photography: Google StreetView, March 2011]


Back to indexImages of Wales