St Dubricius's Church, Gwenddwr, BreconshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Dubricius
Built: 14th century
Rebuilt: 1886 (or 1878-80)
Photography: Robert Eckley
Date: 2 October 2014
Camera: Panasonic DMC-TZ20 digital compact
Note 1. A small rather unimpressive church dedicated to St Dubricius, and largely rebuilt in 1886, with few furnishings and fittings of pre-19thC date. Its small rectilinear churchyard may be the shrunken remnant of a much larger oval enclosure related to the 6thC monastic foundation reputed to have been established here.
Note 2. The church is reached by a narrow sloping path between the gabled former school of 1864 and the former Unicorn Inn. Nave and chancel in one, extensively restored in 1878-80 by William Williams of Brecon. Low west tower with pyramidal roof and roughly battered base; much rebuilt, probably in the c17. The south porch [shown below left] is rebuilt but preserves its c15 roof. [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Powys, by Robert Scourfield and Richard Haslam, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2013].