Trinity Methodist Chapel, Oxford Road, Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire
Name: Trinity Chapel
Rebuilt: 1872/1903 (see note 2 below)
1. By 1800 the Methodists had ... established a substantial Ebenezer, capable of accommodating 300, in Castle Street. This in turn gave way to their Trinity Chapel in Oxford Road, which in due course was refronted and endowed with a handsome italianate tower. The result was a complex building with a small house for the minister at one end. The chapel is now in secular use, the fenestration has been altered to allow for the provision of an extra storey where probably there was only a gallery. A shop occupies part of the ground floor. Full text available as a PDF download from the Capeli website.
2. Trinity Chapel was built in 1771 and later rebuilt three times, in 1823,1872 and 1903. The Chapel is built in the Italianate style, gable entry, long-wall entry type..
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 6052)]
3. Old Methodist chapel in Oxford Road ... was formerly the early C19 Trinity Chapel incorporating an Italianate tower (now a private house called Twr-y-capel) and a minister's house, now a shop, on the corner of an alley named Back Fold.
Photography: John Ball
Date: 30 May 2011
Camera: Sony-Ericsson W595 mobile phone