Salem Baptist Chapel, Bell Bank, Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire
Photography: John Ball
Name: Salem Chapel
Built: Circa 1814
Note 1: A Baptist congregation was established in Hay in 1649 under the leadership of John Miles, prominent in the early history of the Baptist Church in South Wales and the Borders. Around 1814, the Baptists of Hay built a chapel to which they gave the name Salem. This was rebuilt in stone under slate in simple gothic in 1878 and it may be that the much older and only partially extant building which adjoins was the original 17th century Baptist meeting house. Full text available as a PDF download from the Capeli website.
Note 2: Salem Baptist Chapel was built in 1650 and rebuilt c1814 and again in 1877. The present chapel, dated 1877, is stone-built in the Gothic style with a long-wall entry plan and tall gothic windows.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 12270)]
Note 3: The name Salem is an old biblical term for Jerusalem. [Source: Oxford English Dictionary]
Date: 7 Dec 2011
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Below: Photography by Google StreetView, September 2009.
Note 4: A report on Salem Chapel appeared in the Brecon and Radnor Express dated 4 February 2016. The report describes attempts being made to trace the ownership of the chapel before repair work is authorised to rectify storm damage to the roof of the chapel. The full report is provided below (click on the image to enlarge to full size).