Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Brynach's Church, Henry's Moat, PembrokeshireSt Brynach's Church

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Brynach (St Bernard)

Built: Medieval
Restored: 1884/85

Photography: Richard Parry-Jones
Date: 4-6 October 2011
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi digital SLR


St Brynach's Church

Note 1: Medieval parish church, much restored in the nineteenth-century. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 16 Mar 2016)]

St Brynach's Church

Note 2: The nave and chancel are probably 13th century and the south transept is probably 14th century but the restoration of 1884 has left no datable features. In the church is a stone from the nearby chapel which once stood alongside the nearby holy well. [Source: The Old Parish Churches of South-West Wales by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1994; ISBN 1-871731-19-4]

St Brynach's Church

Note 3: Rebuilt heavily in 1884-5 by E. H. Lingen Barker, for £400, so that it appears entirely Victorian. Nave with central N porch and bellcote; chancel and S transept. Barker kept nave and transept walls but everything else is his. The gable crosses are white terrcotta from Torrington. Pl;ain but attractive interior with plastered arches to the chancel [below right], S transept and from both chancel and transept into the SE vestry. Medieval chancel arch ; the arches into the vestry are based on the remnant of a lrage squint. Two rood loft corbels on the nave E wall. [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire by Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach and Robert Scourfield, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2004]

St Brynach's Church St Brynach's Church


Back to indexImages of Wales