The Priory Church of St Mary, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire
Dedication: St Mary
Built: circa 1320
The church served a Benedictine Priory founded circa 1130 although its layout is more that of a large parish church. As rebuilt in the 14th century it comprised a long and wide nave with transepts, a south porch, and a chancel. A porch-tower with a broach spire was added on the north side of the nave c1400. The siting of a staircase to the rood loft west of the south transept suggests that the eastern part of the nave was divided off by a screen separating the monastic eastern parts from the parochial western two thirds of the nave. After the priory was dissolved the western end nave was shortened, a new west wall being built between the two porches. The south transept has a tablet recording that it was rebuilt in 1767. The rest of the church was restored in 1854. Over the high altar is a 14th century figure of the Virgin.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of South-West Wales by Mike Salter, published 1994, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN1-871731-19-4]
The church of St, Mary is a very ancient Gothic stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, one aisle, two transepts, porch, and tower and spire containing 4 bells: there is a monument to Prior Gilfrida Coker, obit. 1301 and one to Hugh Fisher, esq. The register dates from the year 1586.
[Extracted from Post Office Directory, 1871