Holy Cross Church, Kilgwrrwg, Monmouthshire
Dedication: Holy Cross
Built: 13th century
Photography: Steve Veysey
Date: 3 October 2009
Camera: Canon PowerShot SX110 IS digital
Note 1. Holy Cross Church at Kilgwrrwg is one of the most remote parish churches in the UK still in regular use. It can only be reached by crossing two fields and a stream from the nearest house. It is surrounded by a circular churchyard suggesting a Celtic foundation, and the church building contains some Early English architectural features, although it was restored in the 19th century.
[Source: Wikipedia website]
Note 2. This remote church has to be approached on foot across fields from a solitary farm at the end of a lane. The blocked west doorway (seen above) and most of the walling is 13th century. The side windows of the nave are 16th century. The south doorway and porch (above) are probably slightly earlier. The double bellcote at the west is of uncertain date. The nave roof has original tie-beams and queen posts.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glanorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
Note 3. Built in a mixture of Gothic Early English and Decorated styles, long-wall entry type. Church consisting of a nave, with south porch, and chancel. A bell of 1698 is set in a double bell-turret.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 307344)]
Note 4. The church is a small and ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an open turret containing one bell: there are 50 sittings. There is a rude cross of some antiquity in the churchyard. The register dates only from the year 1813.
[Source: Kelly's Monmouthshire Directory - 1901]
Further details and photographs on the Church Crawler website.