Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Libanus United Reformed Church, Libanus, Breconshire

Libanus Chapel, Libanus Name: Libanus Chapel

Denomination: United Reformed Church

Built: 1823

Rebuilt: 1972/73

Notes:
1. The present building was erected on or near the site identified as 'Libanus Chapel' on the 1:10,560-scale Ordnance Survey map published in 1890 [Search for Breconshire > Libanus on the Old-Maps website]
2. Libanus is a Latin form of the biblical Lebanon (in the prophecies of Isaiah 33:9) adopted for the Welsh bible and used as the name of many Nonconformist chapels throughout Wales. The nearby village takes its name from an Independent chapel, built 1823, which was replaced by a United Reformed Church chapel in 1972 following realignment of the A470 Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil road [Morgan, Richard & Powell, R. F. Peter (1999) A Study of Breconshire Place-Names, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst; ISBN 0-86381-567-7]
3. The extensive chapel grounds include a well-tended burial yard containing over 230 graves (see photograph below).

Photography: John Ball
Date: 1 September 2008
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR


Libanus Chapel, Libanus

Libanus Chapel burial yard, Libanus
Back to indexImages of Wales