St Afan's Church, Llanafan Fawr, Breconshire
Dedication: St Afan
Built: Medieval with later additions
Notes: St Afan's church at Llanafan Fawr lies some miles to the south-west of Builth Wells. Part of the medieval church survives but there has been considerable rebuilding in the 18thC and 19thC. It contains several interesting features, most notably several early medieval stone fragments and a pillar stone. The churchyard is massive and would originally have been nearly circular.
The tower rebuilt in 1765, but earlier base used for foundation, and older slit windows incorporated into new structure. North and east walls of nave and chancel retained at time of restoration in 1887, but new windows inserted, old chancel demolished, new chancel formed in east end of existing nave. The south wall completely rebuilt. Porch taken down and rebuilt in 1887.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are provided]
Photography (exterior): Glenys Travis|
Date: 4 August 2004
Camera: Fuji Finepix A203 digital compact
Photography (interior): Robert Price|
Date: 17 September 2009
Camera: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P41 digital compact
Below: Sanctuary and high altar (left). Organ (right).