Back to indexImages of Wales
 
St Anno's Church, Llananno

St Anno's Church,
Llananno, Radnorshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Anno

Rebuilt: 1877

Exterior photography: Derek Savage
Date: 8 June 2007
Camera: Olympus Camedia C-765 digital

Notes:
1. Llananno sits on east bank of River Ithon, 15 km north of Llandrindod Wells. The single-cell church was rebuilt in Victorian period and apart from its famous screen (left and below) has a few fittings surviving from the medieval era including a font and stoup. The churchyard is rectilinear, perhaps disguising a more curvilinear predecessor. Completely rebuilt in 1877 using some of old masonry in internal walling.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are available]
2. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1876 but it contains the finest of many screens and lofts created by a school of woodcarvers at Newtown (MGY) circa 1500. It was repaired in 1880 and 1960. There are also a 15th century font and a box pew dated 1681.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991, ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
3. Nothing is known of the original Church of Llananno, but as the tutelary saint is the Celtic St Anno, c. 780, it is possible that a church has existed on this site [since] before Norman times. The church is situated on the banks of the River Ithon in one of the loveliest spots in the valley. The parish is four miles long and three miles broad. In 1901 it had a population of 244. This has now rapidly declined, and there are fewer than 90 residents today. In 1877 the Church was entirely rebuilt at a cost of £1,500. The ancient screen was taken down and stacked, and in 1880 was repaired and restored at a cost of £300.
[Extracted from undated leaflet A Short Account of Llananno Church and Screen, author unknown, available in the church]

St Anno's Church, Llananno

Medieval rood screen, St Anno's Church
Above: Engraving by Whitman & Bass, Photo Litho to the Queen, Holborn, London.
From: Collections Historical & Archæological Relating to Montgomeryshire and its Borders, Volume VII, page 61, Powys-Land Club, 1874.

Medieval rood screen, St Anno's Church

Medieval rood screen, St Anno's Church

Interior photography: John Ball
Date: 15 July 2000
Camera: Sony Mavica MVC-FD91 digital





See my Images of Wales feature for more photographs of St Anno's Church, and the Gathering the Jewels website, for more images of rood screens.



Back to indexImages of Wales