Dedication: St Padarn
Built: 12th century
S. [Stephen] Williams rebuilt the church in 1878 but the south doorway still has one of only two Norman sculptured tympana in Wales [see below]. It was probably carved by the Herefordshire school of sculpture c.1140 and has two lions facing a Tree of Life growing from the frontally-placed head of an animal. The lintel has a tau-pattern and sits on imposts with heads. The font cover is dated 1678. The font it belonged to lies beside the new font. There is a Roman tombstone in the porch wall and inside is a monument to the Rev James Jones, d. 1733.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991, ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
Further details of church history and architecture on website of Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT).
Photography: John Ball
Date: 8 June 2006
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR