St Twrog's Church, Llanddarog, Carmarthenshire
Dedication: St Twrog
Built: ca. 1856
Note 1: The church, dedicated to St Twrog, is a large edifice, internally well arranged, and appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners.
[Description of earlier church, extracted from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by S. Lewis, 1844 on the GENUKI website]
Note 2: The earliest register dates from 1736. [The church] is believed to have been built in 1854 on the site of a previous wooden building to a design by R. K. Pensan (1816-1886). In the mid 19th century Kyrke Pensan was the Carmarthenshire County Surveyor. The spire, topped by a weathercock, is a local landmark as it can be seen for miles, at 150 feet tall.
[Source: Llanddarog Church website, where further details of the church's history are available]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 8 July 2009 (daytime shots); 29 July 2004 (night-time shot)
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR (daytime shots); Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom digital (night-time shot)
Below: St Twrog's Church - southwest aspect
Below: St Twrog's Church - northeast aspect
Right: St Twrog's Church spire, illuminated at night.
(29 July 2004)