St David's Church, Llanddewi-fach, Radnorshire
Dedication: St David
Note 1: The altar rails are of 1712. The church was rebuilt by Pritchard and Seddon in 1860.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 2003, ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
Photography: Robert Eckley
Date: 9 July 2006
Camera: Fuji FinePix digital
Note 2. The Church ... occupies an isolated position 3.2 km southwest of Painscastle, reached along pathway from Cwm. Rebuilt on ancient site by Pritchard and Seddon 1857-1860. Small nave, chancel, south porch, louvred bellcote with pyramid roof. Rubble stone, clasping diagonal-set buttresses, artificial slate roof. South wall of nave has unusual two-light windows in C14 bar tracery style with cusped heads and glazed lunette.
Tall pointed chancel arch, boarded ceiling, re-used dado panelling, turned communion rails dated 1712, octagonal font, two simple C17 wood benches with scribed mouldings. Very small churchyard with numerous tombstones and yew trees. Inscribed grave slab of 1691 by south east corner of porch.
[Source: Coflein database (accessed 9 Apr 2017)]
Note 3. A small, rectilinear churchyard set into north slope of a valley carrying a small stream north-westwards towards the Bachawy; a remote location 2km south-west of Painscastle. St David's church was rebuilt in mid-19thC, leaving virtually nothing of earlier structure either inside or out. Church rebuilt in 1860; only evidence of earlier structure is foundation at east end of chancel.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website (accessed 9 Apr 2017)]
Note 4. Until 1899 the benefice was held with Llowes; from 1899 joined with Llanbedr Painscastle. Note the gravestone near the porch step: Lewis Griffith, aged 71. 1691. Inside on the south side, the window enbrasures are crowned with a very early type of pointed arch. Note the domestic type fireplace on the north side. From the accounts: 1867 Coal for the church 15/-; 1880 Coal for the church 15/6d (even the Victorians experienced price rises!); 1865 Washing surplices 5/-. It was a canonical requirement for the churchwardens to supply a surplice for the priest and over a considerable period in church accounts one notices a relatively high charge for washing it. We have a chalice of 1624 with an inscription round the lip: This is the common cupp of the parishe of Clandue Vach. It is pleasing to think that the "common" cup from which all may drink regardless of station, wealth, education or whatever is the most valuable cup in the parish in every sense. We have two pewter plates purchased 1854-5. Our registers (incomplete) are dated from 1725. The harmonium (please note the charming candle holders) came from Bryngwyn Church.
[Source: Information sheet inside church (photographed 2006)]