Dedication: St David
Built: 13th century
Later additions: tower, 14th century; nave, 19th century
1. The chancel, with an original priest's doorway and lancets, is 13th century. The west tower may be 14th century. The nave was rebuilt in 1847. Only the square font on a circular base may be as old as the church here mentioned in 1183.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, second edition 2003, ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
2. Llanddewi'r Cwm's church sits above a shallow valley a little more than two kilometres to the south of Builth Wells. It is undistinguished architecturally with three Early English lancets in the chancel, and a tower which is presumably medieval in origin. Internally the only medieval furnishing is a font. The churchyard is interesting for its preservation of an earlier circuit within the present enceinte. The tower is undistinguished architecturally and no date can be attributed to it. The nave has little to date it as all windows have been replaced, but if the replacements were copies of originals, the Y-tracery might suggest the beginning of the 14th century. The chancel has Early English lancets, that on south perhaps in its original location, those on north re-set with at least one perhaps not in its original position. The porch is 19th century.
[Adapted from the website of the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT), where further details are available.
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 February 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR