St Tegwyn's Church, Llandecwyn, Merionethshire
Dedication: St Tegwyn / Tecwyn
Photography by Google StreetView, July 2011
Note 2: St Tecwyn's was a medieval and later parish church, first recorded 1291, but demolished in the later nineteenth century. Its replacement, the present church, was built immediately to the north in 1880, still within the original churchyard. The later church is a simple early Gothic building consisting of a continuous nave and chancel, with a south porch and western bellcote. Stepped butresses divide it into five bays, each with a single window. Little is known of the earlier church, although its dimensions were similar to those of the present building. Preserved in the church is an inscribed stone of uncertain date that bears a cross and a Latin inscription recordng the Prebyter Tecwyn and Heli the Deacon. The churchyard walls and lychgate pre-date the 1880 rebuilding. The lychgate is thought to be seventeenth or eighteenth century.
Note 3: Llandecwyn church stands high in the hills above the the River Dwyryd and Penrhyndeudraeth. It has commanding views over the valley and often sees impressive sunsets across Tremadog Bay. Parts of the church are medieval and in the 19th century it was a Wesleyan chapel serving the local community. These days Llandecwyn itself is little more than a cluster of houses, a hamlet in the hills, and the church is largely disused with no regular services.