Greenfield Chapel, Murray Street, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Denomination: English Baptist
Photography: John Ball
Date: 29 March 2012
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Note: Greenfield Chapel was built in 1858 in the Classical style of the gable entry type. The chapel was designed by architect Henry Rogers of Llanelli. Galleries were added in 1861 and 1867. Romanesque-style school rooms were built in 1887, to the design of George Morgan of Carmarthen, but have since been demolished and the site sold for flats. The present chapel building, dated 1858, is Grade 2 listed.
As befits its corner site this is a full classical temple design of chapel with ornamentation on the sides, as well as the more developed columned main entrance front, with a handsome correctly detailed porch over the central door. It seems to have been the third of the series of classical Baptist Chapel designs by the local carpenter/architect Henry Rogers in Llanelli and is the most elaborate, showing a sophistication in classical detail often missing from Welsh Chapel architecture. The general details are similar to the Zion Chapel he had designed the year before, here executed in expensive Bath stone over the mass walls constructed in local Pennant sandstone from the coal measures. What is unusual is that the classical entablature above the attached Doric (more correctly 'Tuscan') columns or pilasters is interrupted by vertical fluted triglyphs rather than being a simple broad stone band. The block-like corbels or 'mutules' supporting the projecting cornice at the top of the entablature are carried around the sides of the building, and also support the sloping sides of the gable, to complete an unusually correct example of classical temple architecture. At the time of the religious census of 1905 the value of the buildings was put at £10,190, the greatest of any chapel in Llanelli. The seating capacity of 740 was fairly average for Llanelli but its two schoolrooms could house no less than 1,050, in 1905 by far the greatest number in Llanelli.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 10 Feb 2016)]