Tabernacl(e), Coleshill Terrace, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Photography: John Ball|
Date: 29 March 2012
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Note 1: The Tabernacl Independent Chapel was built in 1872-3 by John Humphreys of Morriston. It is possibly the most elaborate chapel in Llanelli, built of brown snecked rubble stone with extensive Bath stone dressings, below a slate tiled roof. The entrance facade has a monumental Corinthian three-bay central arcade, with narrow wings with arched lights. The main windows have 'Florentine' tracery, with paired arched lights and a roundel above each window, marginal glazing bars and ashlar frames. The side elevations each have five windows, in giant arcades with ashlar capitals. The rear is gables with a two-storey, two-window projection. Inside is a fine unaltered interior under wide elliptical-arched panelled ceiling, corniced with corbel blocks to ribs. The four sided gallery with curved angles is mounted upon cast-iron columns. The organ recess has large Corinthian pilasters each side and on inner faces, and elliptical panelled arch, housing an organ by W G Vowles, Bristol.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 10 Feb 2016)]
Note 2: Tabernacle should be Grade 1 Listed. Designed by John Humphrey (of Morriston Tabernacle fame, and this is a baby sister) it is a fabulous building. [Extracted from personal email correspondence with Huw Edwards, dated 26 September 2011]