Back to indexImages of Wales
 

All Saints Church, Goring Road, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire

All Saints Church

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: All Saints

Built: 1874
Enlarged: 1887/88
Closed: March 2011


Photography: John Ball
Date: 29 March 2012
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR

Note 1: All Saints Church is situated on the north side of Goring Road (A484) within a rectilinear churchyard. It is located some 90m south of the old Vicarage (NPRN 125417). The two are contemporary, and were built by G. E. Street of London. Church built in 1872-4 by G. E. Street with subsequent additions by A. E. Street in 1887-8, by which time it had become one of the most expensive churches of the region, costing about £11,000 (even though the tower never reached its intended height). The font and reredos were also designed by G.E. Street. Having been built close to the original church of St Elli, the church was closed in 2011. Sources:
    1. Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 13 Feb 2016)
    2. Stained Glass in Wales on the National Library of Wales website (accessed 13 Feb 2016)

All Saints Church

Note 2: Original plans were for All Saints Church to remain open until refurbishment [of nearby St Elli's Church] was complete, but the church in Goring Road was forced to close suddenly when electrical wiring was condemned in March. Earmarked for closure along with four other town churches as part of a major Church in Wales shake-up, the difficult decision was made not to repair the electrics, and the building has not opened to the public since. [Source: Llanelli Star website, item posted 24 August 2011 (accessed 13 Feb 2016)]

Back to indexImages of Wales