St Mary's Church, Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomeryshire
Dedication: St Mary
1. The church was formerly double-naved with a timber-framed west tower. The rebuilding of 1868 left only the fine south doorway of circa 1220, possibly brought here from Strata Marcella Abbey circa 1540, an effigy of circa 1400 depicting Dafydd ap Gruffydd Fychan in armour, and four 15th century arch-braced roof trusses.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Powys by Mike Salter, second edition published 2003, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN1-871731-62-3]
2. St Mary's church in the heart of Llanfair Caereinion was completely rebuilt in 1868 to the plan of the earlier church. Amongst the features that survived the Victorian-isation are some of the 15th century roof timbers, a fine south doorway of the early 13th century, a 13th century font and a recumbent medieval effigy. The church occupies a large churchyard on raised ground above the River Banwy and just to the north-west of the church is St Mary's Well.
[Extracted from the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further historical details are available]
Photography: Dai Bevan
Date: 5 June 2004
Camera: Kodak DX4330 digital