St Mary's Church, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
Note 1. St Mary's was originally medieval but was rebuilt in 1875-76 by the architect John Dando Sedding, commissioned by the local rector, Rev William John Coussmaker Lindsay (1832-1912). The church now contains some medieval features including a font, but is best known for its Arts and Crafts style sgraffito decorations which cover the interior walls. These were commissioned by Lindsay at a cost of £500 in memory of his wife Rosamund, and designed by Heywood Sumner. Taking the Benedicite as his theme, Sumner used thin layers of different coloured plaster cut back to reveal colour underneath. His designs included local features, including the River Usk, the Sugar Loaf and nearby Llanvihangel Gobion church tower. Sumner's work was completed in 1888.
Note 2. The church lies within a wide bend of the River Usk far from the village it served and is now disused. The round arched nave doorway may be 16th century, and there are two late medieval north windows. The west and south walls are rebuilt. The chancel has a late 13th century north window and a priest's doorway and window of the 15th century. The font and 15th century screen were imported in 1876.
Above: Church of St Mary the Virgin, Llanfair Kilgeddin
Photograph © Jonathan Billinger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence