St Afan's Church, Llanfechan (Llanafan Fechan), Breconshire
Dedication: St Afan
Built: Medieval origins
Photography: Glenys Travis
Date: 7 July 2007
Camera: Nikon D40X digital
Note 1: St Afan's church at Llanafan Fechan, now usually called Llanfechan, lies about seven kilometres to the west of Builth Wells. The church has little pre-Victorian significance having been rebuilt in the later 19th century and, the font apart, nothing of medieval date in the way of furnishings and fittings. The churchyard was originally sub-circular and the church itself occupies an artificial mound. Whole structure rebuilt in 1866, perhaps using older masonry in places.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are provided]
Note 2: An attractive single chambered structure rebuilt about 1866. Possibly with a 13th or 14th century founding, only a 14th century font remains. Situated just off the A483 between the villages of Garth and Cilmery, it can be found alongside Llanfechan farm. Originally the Church was called Llanafan Fechan, possibly indicating a link with the larger church of St Afan at Llanafan Fawr. Now part of the Llangammarch group of churches, which also includes, Llanlleonfel, Llangammarch, and Llanganten.
[Source: Sid rambling on . . . Builth Wells website]