St Meugan's Church, Llanfeugan, Breconshire
Photography: Glenys Travis
Dedication: St Meugan
Built: 13th century
1. St Meugan's church (with variant spellings) lies on a spur between two small streams that feed into the River Usk a few kilometres south-east of Brecon. The church itself has a complex architectural history, the earliest elements dating from the 13th century, and more detailed analysis is required to resolve its structural development. It contains a significant but not exceptional range of medieval and earlier post-medieval furnishings and fittings.
[Extracted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website where further historical and architectural details are available.]
2. The embattled west tower, the nave, and the font are relics of the church built in circa 1272 by Ralph Mortimer of Pencelli Castle. A twin lancet window and blocked doorway are reset in the outer wall of a late 14th or early 15th century north aisle. The western bay of this four-bay arcade differs from the others but is of about the same date. The ribbed roof and four south windows and the priest's doorway are of circa 1400-1500. Parts of the north aisle screen may be 14th century. The pulpit and altar rails are partly 17th century work, some benches are 17th century, and some stalls are of circa 1700. There are slabs of circa 1700 in the chancel and a monument to Lewis Gunter, died 1683, with curly serpents at the sides.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, published 1991, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
Date: 14 April 2004
Camera: Fuji FinePix A203 digital
Late 18th century tombstone:
of Ann the Daughter
of David Jones of ys
Parish who died Nov
the 9th 1791 Æ 7 years
Also Mary Wife of the said
David Jones, Tyler who died
4th of Decr 1799 Aged - - -
Stone stile on boundary of churchyard.