St Myllin's Church, Llanfyllin, Montgomeryshire
Photography: John Ball
Dedication: St Myllin
Built: 18th century
1. St Myllin's church in Llanfyllin, a small town just over 8 miles north-west of Welshpool, is a brick-built structure of 1706, extended in 1826 for a girls' schoolroom, and showing some restoration from the mid-19thC. Its fenestration includes both Georgian and Romanesque styles. Inside there are 18thC fittings including a gallery, chandelier, chest, table and font but nothing of earlier date. There is evidence of a raised sub-circular churchyard, subsequently extended, but the majority of gravemarkers have been removed, leaving only a few together with a sundial. Primarily a Georgian building of 1706 with restoration work of circa1857 when the nave and chancel windows were replaced.
[Extracted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website where further historical and architectural details are available.]
2. A large embattled hall-church of brick with a west tower, replaced the medieval church in circa 1710. In the chancel is an altar table of 1744 and roughly contemporary wainscoting from the rectory. Walter Scott Normanised the windows and furnishings in the 1860s.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, published 1991, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
Dates: October 1997 (large pictures); 17 March 1998 (small pictures)
Cameras: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR (large pictures); Agfa ePhoto-307 digital (small pictures)