Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Cadmarch's Church, Llangammarch Wells, Breconshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Cadmarch

Built: Early medieval

Rebuilt: 1915-16 by W D Caroe

Notes
1. St Ca[d]march's church occupies a spur above the River Irfon, about 11 km south-west of Builth Wells. The original foundation was probably an early medieval one but the present church is a completely new edifice of the early 20thC, built on a new site. It contains nothing from its medieval predecessor other than the old font bowl and an early medieval stone built into the porch. New church built in 1915-16, perhaps with some re-use of earlier masonry.
[Extracted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website where further historical and architectural details are available.]
2. A 15th century font lies in W D Caroe's new church of 1913-16.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, published 1991, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
St Cadmarch's Church, Llangammarch Wells
Photography: Glenys Travis
Date: 4 August 2004
Camera: Fuji FinePix A203 digital

St Cadmarch's Church

Right: Memorial plaque to the Rev Theophilus Jones, author of the seminal work History of the County of Brecknock, published 1805 (vol 1) and 1809 (vol 2). Memorial plaque, St Cadmarch's Church

St Cadmarch's Church
Back to indexImages of Wales