Note 1. All Saints Church, Llangar, first appears in the historical record for 1291 but there is little extant detail from this era beyond a crude medieval font set into the wall by the south door. The church structure as it survives today, while including much of its medieval fabric, was largely restored, modernised and otherwise altered during the 17th and 18th centuries, when the churchyard wall and lychgate were also added (see Note 2). The fixtures and fittings of this restoration survived the Victorian Gothic revival of the 1840s and remain largely intact. The church consists of a continuous nave and chancel with a south porch. The interior walls are adorned with a significant series of wall paintings dating from as early as the 14th through to the 18th centuries, depicting the Seven Deadly Sins, the Apostlesí Creed, a large figure of Death and many other images and Welsh inscriptions. The windows date from the 17th century, with some Gothic elements, particularly the east window. The furniture, meanwhile is predominantly 18th century, including the three-decker pulpit, pews and a western musicians' gallery, extant in 1730.
When All Saints was superseded by a new church, St John's, built at Cynwyd in 1856, it fell into disuse and dereliction before being excavated, restored, whitened and consolidated as an ancient monument from 1974. (From: Rug Chapel, Llangar Church, Gwydir Uchaf Chapel & Derwen Churchyard Cross: Cadw Guide, by Nigel W Yates, CADW: Welsh Historic Monuments, 2005)
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 93771)]