1. The first church on the site (in the 6th century) was probably made of wattle and daub; the first stone church was probably built about four centuries later. The current tower is a Norman construction dating back to the 13th century. It was originally much higher but had to be reduced in height due to the leaning wall. The aisle section of the church dates back to Tudor times (16th century) but was refurbished in 1812 (see plaque above). In 1882 the stone slats on the roof were replaced with Caernarfon slates. A new roof was put on the church in 1997. The church is built of local sandstone with occasional Old Red Sandstone boulders. [Extracted from the Llangiwg Church website (accessed 24 February 2011)]
2. The church was closed for safety reasons after the Christmas service in December 2001. In 2003 the Church in Wales put the church on the property market. Action by the Friends of Llangiwg helped to secure the church for the Friends and the community, and on 25 May 2007 the church was saved from falling into private hands. It was bought by a local resident. The graveyard will remain consecrated ground under the management of the Church in Wales.