St Curig's Church, Llangurig, Montgomeryshire
Dedication: St Curig
Built: 12th century onwards
Note 1: St Curig, died 550, founded a Celtic monastery here. From c1180 it was controlled by the Cistercians of Strata Florida. The west tower may partly go back to that period but in its present form it is essentially 15th century with a bell-stage of 1877 surmounted by a broach-spire within an embattled parapet with a northeast stair turret. The rest of the church has mostly been restored but the three bay arcade with square piers and the chancel arch are probably late 15th century. Also of that period are the font and the former east window and tracery reset in the vestry. The screen of 1874 is a replica of the original medieval screen dismantled in 1834.century tombstones.
[Source: SALTER, Mike (2003) The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
Note 2. St Curig's church originated as an early medieval clas (or mother church) in the hills beside the River Wye, about five miles to the south-west of Llanidloes. It was largely re-built in the 19th century by Scott, though the 15th century tower was retained. Some original tracery remains in re-sited windows in the body of the church, including Perpendicular windows in the north aisle and chancel, and a composite window in the south wall. There is a 19th century copy of the medieval rood screen and a medieval font, one of the few furnishings to survive the 19th century rebuilding.
The main body of the church was rebuilt in Early English Style in 1877-78 and the interior is largely the result of 19th century restoration work. Some of the 15th century nave wall survives internally and the south-east corner of the church may also be original medieval masonry. Medieval window tracery is retained in the north and south walls. The tower has been attributed to the middle of the 14th century, though it has been suggested by Haslam that its core might be as early as the 12th century on the basis of the slight misalignment with the nave. The spire and castellation are 19th century additions.
[Source: CPAT website, where further details are available].