Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St John's Church, Llanhennock, Monmouthshire

St John's Church Dedication: St John the Baptist

Denomination: Anglican

Built: 12th century onwards


Photography: Peter Williams
Date: 11 October 2007
Camera: Fuji FinePix 2800 Zoom digital

Note 1: The nave has a 14th or 15th century SW doorway, and the chancel has a blocked 16th century priest's dooway. Both nave and chancel may be of 13th century origin but were much restored in the 19th century when a porch and two-bay north aisle were added, The embattled west tower with a NE stair turret is 15th century.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991; ISBN1-871731-08-9]

Note 2: Built in a mixture of Gothic Perpendicular and Decorated styles, long-wall entry type. A prominent feature of this Church is the integral tower. With the exception of the tower, the church is stated to have been rebuilt in 1863. [Source: Coflein website of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed July 2016)]

Note 3: Apparently C15 Perpendicular work in origin but this may be partly a reworking of something older. The church was largely rebuilt 1863 by J Prichard and J R Seddon apart from some walling round the south door, the north tower and the chancel. Prichard and Seddon added or rebuilt the north aisle and almost all the nave, and restored the chancel and tower, adding the vestry and the tower parapet. The church has remained almost unaltered since. [Source: British Listed Buildings website (accessed July 2016)]


Back to indexImages of Wales