St Idloes's Church, Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire
Dedication: St Idloes
Built: 14th century
Rebuilt: 16th century
Restored: Late 19th century
Note 1: St Idloes' church is assumed to be of early medieval origin and is set on the south bank of the River Severn within the later planned town of Llanidloes. It is a medieval structure with a typical Marches tower and two-stage timber belfry, probably of 14th century origin. The body of the church was constructed around the same date but there was considerable rebuilding in the 16th century when both architectural features including the arcade and the south door and also a fine hammerbeam roof were imported from the former Cistercian monastery at Cwmhir. The church was restored at the end of the 19th century. It retains a limited number of pre-19th century furnishings includ-ing a 14th century font, a chest and some fittings from a 16th century tomb. [Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are available]
Note 2: The massive west tower with a rib vault below the bell-stage dates from the late 14th century. Apart from the south wall, the remainder of the church was rebuilt in the 1540s when a north aisle and south porch were added. The south doorway and the five-bay arcade are fine but rather crudely reassembled material of circa 1195-1220 from Abbery Cwm Hir, the western arcade arch having been shortened. Dated 1512 is the fine hammerbeam roof with winged angels and the instruments of The Passion. G.E. Street restored the church in 1880-82. There is a 15th century font.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 2002003; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]