Dedication: St Llwchaiarn
1. St Llwchaiarn's church on the northern side of the River Severn, less than one mile from Newtown, is a red brick structure which was built in 1815 in Georgian style on the site of an earlier church; there were further renovations and an eastern chancel and vestry were added in 1864 in Gothic style. Inside there are a few 18th century monuments and a carved effigy of 1630, but relatively little has survived from the predecessor of the present building. The large churchyard encapsulates two earlier phases of enclosure, but little in the way of early gravemarkers.
[Adapted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
2. The brick nave of 1815 has a tower, 18th century wainscoting and a tablet of 1774.
[Extracted from SALTER, Mike (2003) The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
Further details and history: CPAT website
Photography: John Ball (except where indicated)
Date: 18 June 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR