St Non's Church, Llannon, Carmarthenshire
Photography: John Ball
Date: 1 September 2003
Camera: Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom digital
Dedication: St Non
Built: 13th century
1. St Non. A medieval double-nave church, in a steeply sloping churchyard. Drastically remodelled in 1839-41, by Edward Haycock, as a broad preaching box with shallow-pitched single roof and large pointed windows. There was some late 19th century work by David Jenkins, presumably the window tracery. The late medieval west tower, off-centre, as it was at the end of the north nave, has a vaulted base, four-centred heads to the west door and the large red stone bell-lights. The chancel is aligned with the former north nave, with buttresses by Haycock and late 19th century east window. The south nave has some late medieval stonework in the east wall and a small two-light 15th century west window. Broad rendered interior with plaster ceilings of 1840, flat to the nave, and Tudor-arched with plaster ribs to the chancel. The plain pointed chancel arch may be medieval.
[Extracted from: The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion by Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach, and Robert Scourfield, published in 2006 by Yale University Press; ISBN 0300101791, page 324. Preview accessible on-line at Google Books]
2. The nave and chancel are 13th century. The tower is probably of the same period but was remodelled when the south aisle was added at the end of the medieval period.
[Extracted from: The Old Parish Churches of South-West Wales by Mike Salter, published in 1994 by Folly Publications, Malvern, England; ISBN 1-871731-19-4].
3. Floor plan dated 1839-41 available (as ICBS 02528) on the Church Plans Online website.