Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Bartholomew's Church, Llanover, Monmouthshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Bartholomew

Built: 13th century
Photography: Steve Veysey
Date: 6 May 2008
Camera: Fuji FinePix 6900 Zoom digital

 
Note 1. The walls of the nave have a doorway with sunken quadrant mouldings indicating a date of circa 1300, but the windows are 19th century. The partly refaced chancel has a 15th century east window. Of the late 15th century is a fine ashlar-faced three-stage tower with a NE stair turret. The porch is dated 1750 and the altar rails are dated 1700. The Norman font has cable moulding and daisies and wheels.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower by Mike Salter, Folly Publications. Malvern, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]


St Bartholomew's, Llanover

Note 2. Llanover was the mother church of Trevethin, Pontypool (separated 1843), Mamhilad (separated 1855) and Capel Newydd (demolished 1893). The register of baptisms and burials dates from 1661 and marriages from 1754. Vicars are listed from 1535. In 1851 there were seats for 250 (of which 50 were free) and the average congregation was 100 in the mornings and 56 in the afternoons. St Bartholomew’s had three different building periods, the nave being the earliest. In the C13 nave, the ends of closely-spaced mediaeval rafters can be seen below the ceiling. The C13 semicircular font is decorated with a band of daisies (a fertility symbol) and wheels with cable moulding. At the E end are C14 rood-loft stairs, nearby is a low level piscina (indicating a floor-level 3 ft lower than today, this would have been considerably lower than the churchyard).
[Source: The Parishes of Goetre & Llanover website, where further details are available]

Back to indexImages of Wales