St Rhystud's (or Restitutus's) Church, Llanrhystud, CardiganshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Rhystydd
Date: 30 March 2011
Sony DSC-WX1 digital
The church was rebuilt between 1851 and 1854 to a design by Richard Kyrke Penson. The builder was Thomas Roberts of Llanstephan, Carmarthenshire. Richard Kyrke Penson was born in Overton, Flintshire and died at Ludlow in 1885. He was educated at Oswestry School and then trained as an architect and surveyor with his father. Richard became a partner in the firm in 1844 and later moved to Ludlow where he built up a successful practice.
The dedication of the Church is unclear. It is thought the name Rhystud is a Welsh version of Restitutus. If so, St Restitutus had been Bishop of London in the 4th century which would suggest a very early consecration of a church. If that is not the case, then the church was founded by an itinerant preacher known as Rhystud some time in the 6th century or as late as the 10th century.
Recently the church has undergone major external repairs and a complete internal refurbishment, all completed by 2005.
[Source: Edward Llewellyn-Jones, 2011]
The tower was given buttresses and a broach spire in a rebuilding of circa 1850.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of South-West Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1994; ISBN 1-871731-19-4]
The [original] church, dedicated to St Rhystyd [sic], occupies an elevated situation above the village, and is of considerable antiquity.
[Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, by Samuel Lewis, published 1833 (full entry accessible on the GENUKI website)]
The church at Llanrhystud was built in 1868 [but see notes 1 & 2, above] and enlarged in 1880 (as recorded on a date plaque). It is built in Gothic style and has a long-wall entry and an integral tower.
[Source: The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales Coflein database (NPRN 281)]
Further historical information is available at: