St Michael's Church, Llanvihangel Gobion (Llanfihangel-nigh-Usk), Monmouthshire
Dedication: St Michael
Built: 15th century onwards
Photograph 1: Steve Veysey
Date: 6 May 2008
Camera: Fuji FinePix 6900 digital
Note 1: The tower of St Michael's Church at Llanvihangel-Gobion is reputedly Norman. The single bell in the western tower is dated 1626. The church lies in a meadow near the river Usk and has suffered flooding.
[Source: VisitorUK.com website]
Illustration from: Monmouthshire Sketch Book, by Fred J. Hando,
published by R. H. Johns, Newport, 1954
Note 2: The tombstones in the graveyard have been photographed and transcribed; see Cefn Pennar, website.
Note 3: There is no record of the foundation of the church. The present building is curious in that it has a three-quarter span roof. The longest span is supported by a framing of oak, which appears to have been placed there some two centuries or more ago, the timbers being unable to carry such a long span. On one of the windows is carved a representation of a hammer and pincers or tongs, as though in allusion to the smiths from whom the parish is called. The font is of free-stone and elegantly carved, being apparently of the sixteenth century. On the outside of the south wall is a stone on which is sculptured two figures holding what is considered to be a chalice. It is supposed to represent two priests in the act of elevating the Host.
[Text and monochrome photograph (right) from: A History of Monmouthshire: Vol 1 Part 2b: Hundred of Abergavenny, by Sir Joseph Alfred Bradney, 1906]
Note 4: Llanvihangel Gobion was the home of Sir Harry Llewellyn (1911-1999) and his legendary horse Foxhunter. In 1952, Sir Harry, riding Foxhunter, secured a gold medal in show jumping at the Helsinki Olympic Games. Foxhunter died in 1959 and was buried on the Blorenge mountain above Abergavenny. Forty years later, Sir Harry Llewellyn's ashes were scattered near Foxhunter's grave.
[Sources: Hando (1954); Wikipedia; and Geograph website]
[Photograph (above) © Copyright Philip Halling, 2 May 2009, licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence]
[Photograph (below) from: A History of Monmouthshire: Vol 1 Part 2b: Hundred of Abergavenny, by Sir Joseph Alfred Bradney, 1906]