St Peter's Church, Llanwenarth Citra, MonmouthshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Peter
Built: Early 14th century
1. One north window and the south doorway date the long chancel and nave to circa 1300. The ogival headed priestís doorway, three chancel widows with reticulated tracery, and one nave window are of circa 1330. The blocked nave west window may be a relic of an older church. A tower was built against it in the 14th or 15th century. The porch is even later. Inside the church is a Norman font.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
2. The church of St Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells: there are 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1785. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £245, including 32 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. and held since 1898 by the Rev. Frederic Hooper Aldrich-Blake M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge.
[Extracted from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire - 1901]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 14 May 2000
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR