Dedication: St Gwynno
Rebuilt: circa 1844
Llanwinio Church was founded by St. Gwinio in the sixth century. The present Victorian building was built on the foundations of the Celtic building. Whilst the foundations were being built for the present church a stone with an inscription in Ogam was found. The inscription translates as Bivadus, son of Bodibeva. The form of the letters date it to the late 5th - 6th century and it is now in the Carmarthen Museum. There is also a very interesting stone built into the wall of the porch.
The parish church, dedicated to St. Gwynno, had been completely rebuilt around 1844, and little is known about the previous building Llanwinio is remarkable as it is one of the few remaining circular burial grounds in Britain, dating back to Celtic times (see satellite image, bottom of page). The Celts believed that the circle gave immortality to those buried within. The burial ground is raised up above ground level in order to keep the dead dry.
[Extracted from Crymych Group of Churches website]
Further details and photographs: Images of Wales Llanwinio feature
Photography: John Ball
Date: 30 April 2000
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR