St Gwynno's Church, Llanwynno (Llanwonno), GlamorganDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Gwynno
Rebuilt: circa 1894
1. The church is remotely sited in a forest high above the Rhondda. The walling is medieval but the south doorway is the only old opening.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
2. Until 1894, the church resembled a barn from the outside, with an appendage containing the chancel, and a porch leading from the south wall (the last two features being incorporated in the present building). Inside, the pulpit was a three-decker and was situated on the north wall; the pews were interlocked and ran from east to west. In 1894 the church was "restored" in the Gothic style by Miss Olive Talbot of Margam. A belfry and a small porch on the west wall were added. George E. Halliday was the architect for this work, and the cost of the work was met from Miss Talbot's own purse. As a result of this work, much of the historical interest of the building has been destroyed, though the church now has a much more imposing appearance. Inside the present building, however, there remain several features of historical interest. Affixed to the south wall of the nave near the south door, there is the upper portion of a rough pillar stone. It is 13½ inches high, 8½ inches wide and 3½ inches thick. On it there is a crudely incised ring-cross with four incised dots in the interspaces and four smaller dots (one of which is fractured away) in the upper and lower spandrels. It dates from the period between the seventh and ninth centuries and is ranked among the early Christian monuments of Wales. There is an ancient looking font, but here authenticity is doubtful.
[Extracted from The Church of St Gwynno, Llanwynno, Mid Glamorgan by J. Gwyn Davies on the Campanology Wales website]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 2 February 1999
Camera: Agfa ePhoto-307 digital
Further details and photographs: