Church of St John the Baptist, Upper Machen, MonmouthshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St John the Baptist
1. St John's chapel of ease, Upper Machen, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and spire containing a clock and one bell, and has 300 sittings, all free. Charities producing £75 are distributed yearly.
[Extracted from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire, 1901]
2. Built in the Gothic Decorated style, long-wall entry type. A prominent feature of this Church is the small tower and spire.
[Extracted from Coflein database]
3. St. John's Church was built in 1855 in the time of the Rev Augustus Morgan. There was a need for another church because of the rapidly increasing population who would have found the chapels more convenient than the parish church in Lower Machen which was over a mile away.
[From an item by Machen Remembered, a local history group from the South East of Caerphilly, on the Community Archives Wales website]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 31 August 2004
Camera: Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom digital