St Mary's Church, Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire
Dedication: St Mary
1. St Mary's church, Maenclochog, is the centrepiece of a substantial village green, unusual in the region. It is an Anglican parish church, with medieval origins, but the church was thoroughly restored in 1880-1. According to a newspaper account, it was roofed in Rosebush slate over a nave roof of teak and chancel roof of oak, a vestry was added and the windows were replaced in Bath stone. The font and part of the pulpit were kept from the previous church. A photograph of circa 1906 shows the tower barely higher than the ridge of the nave, with a crude triangular opening on the south. But it had been raised to present height by the 1920s. The church contains two important 5th - 6th century inscribed stones, brought from Llandeilo Lwydiarth churchyard nearby. They appear to relate to two brothers Andagellus and Coimagnus; a third stone, probably from the same site, was moved from Bwlchyclawdd (Temple Druid) to Cenarth before 1743 is to a son of Andagellus. A most unusual group of stones to one family. [Extracted from Coflein database (NPRN: 307159)]
2. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and situated in the centre of the village, is a neat edifice, rebuilt by subscription within the last forty years.
[Source: Topographical Dictionary of Wales - 1833, Samuel Lewis]
Photography: Dai Bevan
Date: 13 September 2002
Camera: Kodak DX4900 Zoom digital