St David's Church, High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, GlamorganDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St David
Repaired: 1926 and 1977
1. Until 1839 there was only one ecclesiastical parish in Merthyr Tydfil: St Tydfil's. St David's Church was added in 1847, originally for English speaking parishioners. It became the Parish Church in 1968, when St Tydfil's Church closed.
[Adapted from the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council website]
2. Built 1846-47 by T. H. Wyatt and David Brandon, as a daughter church to the (now closed) medieval parish church of St Tydfil, which itself had been (1820-1) partly rebuilt, and which was subsequently transformed by J. L. Pearson between 1891 and 1901
[Extracted from Imaging the Bible in Wales Database]
3. St David's Church [was] completed in 1847 and designed by T. H. Wyatt and David Brandon. Wyatt was one of those architects who could turn out either Gothic or Classical at the behest of his patrons. As originally furnished, St David's was a compromise between the auditory requirements of the previous century and the visual requirements of the Camdenians. There was a large nave and a large gallery. The chancel is small in comparison with the nave, and the altar was very much smaller than the present one. St David's is a mixture of Early English and what approximates to Decorated in the aisle windows.
[Extracted from Church Building in the Nineteenth Century by Owain Jones, in Merthyr Historian (Vol 3), Merthyr Tydfil Historical and Civic Society, South Wales, 1980]
4. In 1977, St David's Church was repaired and redecorated, and the North Aisle was converted into an exhibition centre called the Dewi Gallery, in an attempt to make better use of the building and to involve it with the wider life of the community.
[Extracted from The history of the Anglican Church, by Rev D. S. Lee, in Merthyr Tydfil: A Valley Community, Merthyr Teachers Centre Group and D. Brown & Sons Ltd., Cowbridge, 1981; ISBN 0-905928-15-6]
5. Further photographs on Alan George's Old Merthyr Tydfil website.
Photography: John Ball
Date: 30 April 1998
Camera: Agfa ePhoto307 digital