Zoar Chapel, Pontmorlais, Merthyr Tydfil, GlamorganName: Zoar Chapel
Rebuilt: 1825, 1842, 1884
1. Built in 1801, modified, altered or rebuilt 1825, 1842, architect Rev. B. Owen and builder D. Richards, and final phase of re-building was in 1884 by architect J. Rees of Rhondda and builder D. Jenkins of Merthyr. Building style is Vernacular, with a integral porch with entrances to the left and right side of central porch position, two doors on both sides, one straight up stairs to gallery and the other to the ground floor chapel. Pulpit to rear wall, and possible organ room behind. Gallery octagonal in layout.. Building is listed Grade 2..
[Extracted from Coflein database (NPRN: 9874)]
2. Congregationalists managed to build Zoar in 1798.
[Extracted from Religion, by Rev Noel Gibbard, in Merthyr Tydfil: A Valley Community, Merthyr Tydfil Teachers' Group and D. Brown & Sons Ltd., Cowbridge, 1981; ISBN 0-905928-15-6]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 7 August 2002
Camera: Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom digital