1. St Nicholas's church is a large building founded early in the 13th century on a low hill in the eastern part of the town. Much of the original structure survives, but a four-storey tower was added in 1816 and a south porch in 1868. Inside it retains a 15/16th century hammerbeam roof over the west end of the nave and a 16th century wagon roof over the eastern end, though the chancel roof is part of the 19th century restoration works. The 15th century rood screen was brought from Chirbury Priory together with the roodloft and the stalls with their misericords after the Dissolution. Other medieval furnishings to have survived include the font and two piscinae. The south transept contains a canopied tomb dated 1601 and two recumbent effigies. The churchyard is large and rectangular with an interesting range of memorials.
[Extracted from Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are provided]
2. The church is first mentioned in 1227 and was perhaps begun four years earlier, along with the castle. The nave with narrow lancets, two doorways and the font are original work of the 1220s, and the chancel and transepts are late 13th century additions. A tower beyond the north transept was entirely rebuilt in 1816.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, second edition, Folly Publications. Malvern, 2003; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]