Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Church Lane, Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire

Bethel Chapel, Newcastle Emlyn Name: Bethel Chapel

Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist

Built: 1820
Rebuilt: 1869

Photography: Dai Bevan
Date: 18 September 2007
Camera: Kodak Z7590 Zoom digital

Note 1: Bethel Chapel was built in 1820, and rebuilt in 1869, to the design of architect Thomas Thomas of Landore. The chapel is built in the Sub-Classical and Simple Round-Headed style of the gable entry type. By 1995 the chapel was in such a state of disrepair services had to be held in the vestry, and by 2000 the chapel had been converted into flats. The building is Grade 2 listed. [Source: Coflein Database (NPRN: 6252)]

Note 2: 1869, by Rev. Thomas Thomas. Converted to flats in 2000. Stucco with long arched windows and centre triplet, typical of Thomas, but instead of a pediment, a parapet with scrolls and a vase finial, more theatrical than Thomas's later works. [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion, by Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach, & Robert Scourfield, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2006; ISBN 0-300-10179-1]

Bethel Chapel, Newcastle Emlyn

Note 3: Now, in part at least, a chapel of rest. The chapel has a claim to fame in its one-time minister Evan Phillips (1829-19120), a local lad who abandoned a career as a tailor to join the Welsh Methodist Revival and returned here to preach his famously succinct sermons for which he was known as 'Evan Phillips twenty minutes' see Welsh Biography Online website. [Source: GeoLocation website]

Back to indexImages of Wales