St Illtud's Church, Newcastle, Bridgend, Glamorgan
Dedication: St Illtud / Illtyd
Built: 14th century (west tower)
Rebuilt: 19th century (nave and chancel)
1. St Illtyd's Church is a fantastic Grade II listed church situated on top of a very steep hill - Newcastle Hill. The church overlooks the town of Bridgend and is dramatically lit up during evenings. It is a Victorian decorated, Gothic rebuilding of an early 14th century church. The churchyard is entered through a lychgate donated in 1910 by Samuel Llewellyn of Coed Parc. Steeped in history, the building is well maintained and the surrounding graveyard is a well kept chapter of history.
[Source: UKattraction.com website]
2. The nave and chancel were rebuilt in the 19th century when the aisle and vestry were added on the north side. However, there is a fine early 16th century west tower with gargoyles and low pinnacles (right).
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-0809]
3. There has been worship on this site for almost 900 years (the first recorded priest was Fr Gilbert in 1153).
[Source: Church in Wales website]
4. The church, dedicated to St Illtyd, is an ancient structure with a tower, and is situated at Bridgend, on the declivity of an eminence; it is supposed to have been erected in 1200, and is sixty feet long and twenty broad, containing about 200 sittings, of which sixty are free.
[Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1849, accessible on the Welsh Icons website]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 November 2004
Camera: Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom digital