Newchapel Baptist Chapel (Capel Newydd), Newchapel, Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire
Name: Capel Newydd (Newchapel Baptist Chapel)
Rebuilt: 1815, 1905, 1957
Note 1. Newchapel Baptist Chapel has been altered substantially since its building in 1740, as denoted by the plaque on the front gable which reads: "Newchapel Baptist Church founded in 1740 rebuilt 1815 restored 1905 destroyed by fire 1954 rebuilt 1957".
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 11316)]
Photography (main pictures): Ann Bryan
Date: 12 June 2007
Camera: Kodak EasyShare C743 Zoom digital
Photography (plaque): Derek Savage
Date: 29 February 2004
Camera: Pentax 70-S 35 mm SLR
Note 2. Particular Baptist meeting houses in Radnorshire were opened at Rock, near Pen-y-bont in 1721 and Newbridge in 1760. In 1792 a chapel was erected at Nantgwyn near the border of Radnorshire with Montgomeryshire. The Nantgwyn congregation, together with the small congregation at Capel Newydd (Newchapel) in the parish of Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, was received into the South-eastern Association as the Nantgwyn church in 1797. The congregation at Capel Newydd was a branch of the Nantgwyn church until about 1838 when it became an independent church. The chapel at Capel Newydd dates from 1815.
[Extracted from Shropshire Baptist Churches History website]