Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Havelock Street Chapel, Newport, Monmouthshire

Name: Havelock Street

Denomination: Presbyterian / Calvinistic Methodist

Built: 1864
Rebuilt: 1878
Photography: John Ball
Date: 6 January 2016
Camera: Canon IXUS 115 HS digital compact

 
Note 1:
Haverlock Street Methodist Chapel was built in 1864 and rebuilt in 1878, both chapels to the design of architects Habershon, Pite & Fawckner of Newport. The present chapel, dated 1878 was built in the Lombardic/Italian style, with a gable-entry plan, two storeys, flanking turrets and a 'wheel' window. An adjacent hall was added in c.1888. This chapel is now Grade 2 Listed as a good mid nineteenth century chapel in the polychromatic Italinate style. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 27 Jan 2016)]


Havelock Street Chapel

Note 2:
[Built] 1864 by Habershon & Pite. Memorable outside for its salt-and-pepper random stone walling. Lombardic style entrance front, a bold wheel window over the porch. Red and yellow bricks add to the polychromy here. The interior is unaltered and cheerfully painted in white, pink and pale blue, the pews grained. Galleries on three sides, the fourth a dramatic composition, the organ set above the pulpit and under a large semicircular arch. Slightly later hall alongside , in matching materials and style
[Source: The Buildings of Wales: Gwent / Monmouthshire, by John Newman, Yakle University Press, New Haven and London, 2000]

Havelock Street Chapel

Havelock Street Chapel

Back to indexImages of Wales