Bethel Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Stow Hill, Newport, Monmouthshire
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Colour photography: John Ball
Date:6 January 2016
Camera:Canon IXUS 115 HS digital compact
Bethel Methodist Chapel was built in 1883 in the Gothic style, with a gable-entry plan, a large arch in the facade, integral tower and spire.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 28 Feb 2016)]
Above: Illustration from The Architect, 20 October 1883
Note 2: [Bethel Chapel is] now known as Bethel Community Church, and located on the elevated western side of Stow Hill, on the corner of Wesley Place:
"The Wesleyan chapel in course of erection at Newport Mon., is being built of local stone, with grey Pennant stone facings and Bath stone dressings and tracery. It measures internally 68 feet long by 53 feet wide, exclusive of transepts. The roof is constructed of pitch pine framing and arcading, supported by iron columns which also carry framing of gallery. The ceiling will be match-boarded and formed into panels by moulded ribs, with carved bosses at intersections. The gallery front will be of pitch pine framing and iron panelling, rather novel in character. There will be accommodation for 580 persons in the body of the chapel, and 393 in the galleries, making a total of 973 persons. The pewing will be of pitch pine, and the whole of the internal woodwork is to be stained and varnished. Beneath the chapel will be situated a large school-room, six class-rooms, warming chamber, and other offices. The contract is let to Mr. C. Miles, builder, of Newport, for £5,484, and is being carried out from the drawings and under the superintendence of Messrs. W.G. Habershon & Fawckner, architects, of London, Newport, and Cardiff."
[Source: The Architect, 20 October 1883, available on the ArchiSeek.com website (accessed 8 Jan 2016)]