St Mary's Church, Newport, PembrokeshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Mary
Built: 13th century
Note 1: St Mary's Church, Newport, was built in the thirteenth century by William Fitzmartin. It was restored in 1879. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 22 Mar 2016)]
Note 2: The west tower is 16th century. The chancel and nave have old masonry but no old features although the nave is flanked by two-bay chapels (or aisled transepts). There are fragments of a 14th century cross-slab. The communion table is 17th century. [Source: The Old Parish Churches of South-West Wales by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1994; ISBN 1-871731-19-4]
Note 3: The east window shown below depicts the four Saints: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The right-hand panels are dedicated To the Glory of God and in memory of Rev Ll. Ll. Thomas who was Rector of this Parish for over 50 years.
Note 4: The Church is built on old foundations, the old walls, with the exception of the pine ends, being utilised and raised about two feet. The building is cruciform in shape; the north transept was comparatively modern, having been built some 70 0r 80 years ago, but the south transept was a very aged one, no doubt being a portion of the original structure. With the exception of the tower, which is of the early Norman perpendicular style, the Church has been completely restored, including the insertion of new windows and a new roof, and the interior has been entirely reseated with open seats, and the chancel with stalls. The pavements of the aisles and chancel are of handsome encaustic tiles, supplied by Godwin &am' Son, of Hereford. The roofs are open, amd slightly stained, and the whole of the old stone work has had the joints raked out and re-pointed with cement.