Capel Coffa Independent Chapel, Milford Road, Newtown, Montgomeryshire
Name: Capel Coffa Independent Chapel
Denomination: Independent / Presbyterian
Photography: John Ball
Date: 18 June 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Note 1: Capel Coffa is an auditorium type chapel with a gable-end facade, typical of the 1830s but built in 1863 on land gifted by Lord Sudeley. It was built as a memorial chapel commemorating the events of 'Cae Bendith', the Field of Blessing which provided for Henry Davies and his family following cruel persecution during the 17th century. Currently three denominations worship at the chapel on a Sunday as, in addition to the Welsh Congregationalists, the Welsh Presbyterians from Bethel (now closed) and the English Presbyterians from Crescent (still under repair following storm damage in 2002) have been made most welcome.
[Source: Local Information Sheet 34 – Newtown, Chapels Heritage Society, undated; accessible as a PDF document on-line from the Capeli - The Chapels Heritage Society website]
Note 2: Milford Road Independent Chapel was built in 1865 in the Simple Gothic style with a gable entry plan and tall leaded windows, to the design of architect Thomas Thomas of Landore.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 11406)]
Note 3: Capel Gofa Welsh Independent Chapel. Attribution: stylistic affinities of main façade. Style: lancet Gothic, very similar to Efail Isaf. The central triple windows remain but the side windows were widened and the porch demolished in 1908.
[Source: Thomas Thomas, 1817-88: the first national architect of Wales, by Stephen Hughes, in Archaeologica Cambrensis 152 (2003)]