Bethel Chapel, New Road, Newtown, Montgomeryshire
Name: Bethel Chapel
Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist
Photograph 1: John Ball
Date: 18 June 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Note 1: Bethel Methodist Chapel was built in 1810, rebuilt in 1820 and rebuilt again in 1876. The present chapel, dated 1876, was designed by architect Richard Owens of Liverpool and built in the Gothic style with a gable entry plan and flanking turrets.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 11285)]
Note 2: Constructed between 1875 and 1876, this is the third Welsh Calvinist chapel to have been built in the town. Designed by the famous Liverpool architect, Richard Owens, and built at a cost of £2300, Bethel was constructed in the decorated style. The front elevation is in squared masonry and sandstone dressings with a central door and two buttresses to the main gable (from which spirelets have been removed). The remainder is in yellow brick beneath a slated roof to a tiled ridge. It probably seated about 450 people but is now in a sad state of disrepair and was sold a short while ago for redevelopment into flats and/or offices.
[Source: PDF version of Local Information Sheet 34: Newtown, published by Capeli - the Chapels Heritage Society, 2008]
Below: Photograph by Google StreetView, September 2009